Jaskowa Valley

The history of Jaskowa Valley dates back to 1519, and is connected with the wealthy Pawel Kohne-Jaski, who worked with amber. His grandchildren must be regarded as the founders of Jaskowa Valley due to the fact that the older one - Andrew, bought in 1616, "a mansion with gardens, fibrous soil, forest and ponds Kramarski," and the mill in Oliva. A few years later (1623r.) opened an inn on the sites "for the people, strangers, stray and travellers." Younger brother, added to their estate some gardens and inn in Piecki, also Jaskowy Mill.

In the year 1739 was another inn in the "Second Jaskowa Valley" and the area became a popular place especially for people from Gdansk, representing all the states. Wealthy citizens chose to place their mansions in Jaskowa, and one of them - John Lebes gave some of his lands to public use. The hills around his mansion transformed into a green enclave full of the paths. With time, the place started to be perfectly suitable for organizing public playground outdoors: festivals, concerts and tournaments of skills. The most popular of them was an annual festival on/ the 23rd of June.

In 1814 Jaskowa Valley was incorporated into the urban area, and ten years later resumed the Midsummer festivals, which were interrupted by the war. Many of the dance floors, swings, climbing walls were set up on so called Jaskowa Meadow. There were up to 20 thousand people participating in the events. In 1832 the city purchased land Sobotka, then Jaskowy Forest. There were many new paths, glades and viewing points established until 1840. There have been Hevelius and Copernicus' hills, the path of the Philosophers, Angel and Devil's bridges. To this day there is at the entrance "Forest House", which used to be the inn. The Forest Theatre with perfect acoustics was finally opened in 1911.

Jaskowa Valley has become a favourite place of residence of the wealthiest inhabitants of Gdansk.